For first hand travel advice from people who have been and done it, I highly recommend posing questions you may have in a travel forum. Your answer might even be already covered by a past forum post! Then once you have several replies, you can pick up a trend of which answers seem to be coming up more and have greater peace of mind.
Through travel forums, I have been able to procure the services of day trip drivers, highly recommended sites in certain locations and also feedback on proposed travel timeframes – Sometimes you can set-aside too short of a time for various locations and the feedback may be to add more days in some and cut others. very insightful!
Travel forum – what to ask (Ideas):
– Dangerous areas
#nomads – https://hashtagnomads.com/
Age – Traveller – Letters – http://www.traveller.com.au/travel-planning/travel-letters
Age – Traveller – Tips and advice – http://www.traveller.com.au/travel-planning/tips-and-advice
Airhosts Forum (Airbnb Forum) – http://www.airhostsforum.com/
Australian Business Traveller – Forum – https://www.ausbt.com.au/community
** Australian Frequent Flyer – Forum – http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/
Boots n All (Round the world trip focused forums) – http://boards.bootsnall.com/
English Forum – Forums for various European countries – http://www.englishforum.ch/
Facebook – Recommendations
– To request feedback and opinions on cities, type in ‘recommendation’ or ‘looking for’ in the Facebook status and then the recommendations function will appear, then you can post. Then contacts can add feedback to the post.
Facebook Groups – https://www.facebook.com/groups/
– Search travel oriented groups or groups which relate to the destination/s you are travelling to.
– Travel groups – https://www.facebook.com/groups/?discover_category_id=917939434991005
Flyer Talk – http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ and Australia, New Zealand and Pacific forum – http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/oceania-australia-new-zealand-south-pacific-461/
G adventures – Watering hole – https://wateringhole.gadventures.com/
Lonely Planet – Thorn Tree – http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/index.jspa
– Australasia and pacific
– Middle east
Interest forums (General worldwide genre topics – for more specific, post to country and city forums)
– Activities and Gear – Culture vultures (World events or cultural matters)
– Diving and snorkelling – Experimental travel
– Gap year and round the world travel – Get Stuffed (Food)
– Health (Includes security) – Kids to go (Travelling with kids)
– LGBTI Travel – Life on the ocean (Sailing and marine travel)
– Older travellers – On your bike (Cycling and motorbike travelling)
– Responsible travel (Ethical travel) – Snow business (Snow travel)
– Speaking in tongues (Languages) – The long haul – Living and working abroad
– Travel bloggers – your stories – Travel tech
– Travel on a shoestring (Budget and backpacker travel) – Travellers with disabilities
– Trekking and mountaineering – Wildlife and nature
Travel Buddies and for sale – House sitting and swapping – Stuff for sale or wanted – Travel companions (Arranging travel buddies or meetups)
Oz Bargain – Travel Forum – https://www.ozbargain.com.au/forum/38185
** Plansify (Online portal of travel advisers answering and offering services for a fee) – http://www.plansify.com/
Quora – https://www.quora.com/
Rail Europe Forum – http://forum.raileurope.com.au/
Reddit – Travel – https://www.reddit.com/r/travel/
Reddit – Shoestring travel – https://www.reddit.com/r/Shoestring/
Reddit – Backpacking travel – https://www.reddit.com/r/backpacking/
Rick Steves Europe – Forum – http://www.ricksteves.com/travel-forum
South East Asia Backpacker- http://forum.southeastasiabackpacker.com/
Tokyo Cheapo – Forum – https://community.tokyocheapo.com/
Travel Buddy – http://www.travbuddy.com/forums
Travel Forum.org – http://www.travelforum.org/
Travel massive – forum – https://travelmassive.com/
Travellers point – http://www.travellerspoint.com/forum.cfm
Trip Advisor – Forum – http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ForumHome
Country / Destination Forums:
– Asia – South Pacific – Middle East – Europe – Africa – United States – Canada – Caribbean – Mexico – Central America – South America
Beyond destination forums
Includes: – Air travel – Antarctic Adventures – Bargain Travel – Beach Vacations – Cruises – Eco tourism – Family Travel – Food and Travel – Holiday Travel – Outdoors / Adventure Travel – Road Trips – Senior Travel – Solo Travel – Timeshares / Holiday Rentals – Train Travel – Travel Gadgets and Gear – Traveling with Pets – Winter Sports
* Whirlpool Australia – Travel – http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/149
* Whirlpool Australia – Travel – Accommodation – http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/149?g=345
* Whirlpool Australia – Travel – Air Travel – http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum/149?g=344
* Whirlpool Australia – Travel – Before you go –
Task / Travel Tasks Assistance
Travel planning help and tips gigs on Fiverr: https://www.fiverr.com/gigs/travel
Links last checked : / /2015
Any advice and recommendations given on this website are as a general and informal guide only, taken from practical experience of the owner of this website.
Any hyperlinks on this website that take you to third-party websites are provided for your reference and convenience only, and do not imply an endorsement of the material on the third-party sites or any association with the owners or operators of those sites.This website does not control any of these third-party sites and is not responsible for their content. You access and use the third-party websites at your own risk.
© Anthony Warren and ‘Life Through the Lens’ 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Anthony Warren and the ‘Life Through the Lens’ Blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.