*** Wikivoyage – General Concerns (Portal of Travel Concerns – such as Tipping, Toilets, Disabilities and More) http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Category:Concerns
REGIONAL / SAFETY
Safety around the world can be a big issue from the recently volatile Middle east region to the relatively popular Europe region. No matter where you are off to it’s important to familiarise yourself with local security risks and conditions.
As an Australian for a start, go to the smartraveller website and is where you can sign up to email notifications for the region you are travelling to. This is updated daily. http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/
A great book on international travelling personal security is by Tanya Spencer -“Personal Security: A Guide for International Travelers” –
Other useful websites about travelling safe in general:
- Australian Government Security tips – http://www.travelsecure.infrastructure.gov.au/
- Avoiding being a terrorism target – http://trip.ustia.org/security/tips/1190/precautions-to-avoid-being-being-the-target-of-a-terrorist-attack/
- Better Health – Travel Safety Tips – http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/bhcv2/bhcarticles.nsf/pages/Travel_safety_tips
- International SOS (Security updates) – http://www.internationalsos.com
- Terrorism Information – http://danger.mongabay.com/terror.htm
- Wikivoyage – Stay Safe Portal – http://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Category:Stay_safe
Wikitravel also provide a useful resource for travel conditions (this is peer created data, so it may not be 100% accurate but can be used as a guide, as the information is from first hand travellers.
- Africa – http://wikitravel.org/en/Africa
- America – Central – http://wikitravel.org/en/Central_America
- America – North – http://wikitravel.org/en/North_America
- America – South – http://wikitravel.org/en/South_America
- Asia – http://wikitravel.org/en/Asia
- Caribbean – http://wikitravel.org/en/Caribbean
- Europe – http://wikitravel.org/en/Europe
Personal Safety – Tips and considerations
Global Homicide rates Map (shows where most risk of safety) – http://homicide.igarape.org.br/
Institute of economics and peace – Global terrorism index – http://economicsandpeace.org/
International Risk Outlook Charts (Health and General Risk) – by International SOS – https://www.internationalsos.com/risk-outlook
Safety in a foreign country – http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Safe-in-a-Foreign-Country
Travel Safety (World Nomads) – http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-safety/
Female Travelling Tips
Solo Europe Travel – http://thesavvybackpacker.com/solo-travel-women-europe/
Top tips for women travellers – http://studenttravel.about.com/od/womenstudenttravelers/a/womentips.htm
Housesitting Safety / Away from home Safety
Keeping your home safe – Travel – http://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/5817576/list/10-Ways-to-Keep-Your-Home-Safe-While-You-re-
Trusted house sitters – http://www.trustedhousesitters.com/au/
Links last checked : / /2015
Any advice and recommendations given on this website are as a general and informal guide only, taken from practical experience of the owner of this website.
Any hyperlinks on this website that take you to third-party websites are provided for your reference and convenience only, and do not imply an endorsement of the material on the third-party sites or any association with the owners or operators of those sites.This website does not control any of these third-party sites and is not responsible for their content. You access and use the third-party websites at your own risk.
© Anthony Warren and ‘Life Through the Lens’ 2015. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Anthony Warren and the ‘Life Through the Lens’ Blog with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.